Families from around the world love this wintery treat, and many cultures have their own special spin. Italian Hot Chocolate is thick and creamy, and almost its own dessert (we never say no to Tiramisu, of course). In the Della Santina house growing up, owner Rob, his siblings, and many cousins loved to delight in a cup of cocoa and listen to stories told by Nonno of his Italian life before coming to the US and founding Della Santina’s.
- 3.5 ounces good quality dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2.5 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup + 1 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- In a small bowl whisk until smooth, 1/4 cup milk and cornstarch set aside.
- Sift the cocoa into a medium bowl then add the sugar and whisk together, set aside.
- In a small/medium pot, heat 3/4 cups + 1 tablespoon milk until boiling reduce heat to low.
- Start whisking and add the milk/cornstarch mixture then add the cocoa mixture slowly while continually whisking until smooth.
- Then add the chocolate pieces and whisk continuously for approximately 3 minutes. Serve immediately.