St. Francis Winery & Vineyards' Executive Chef Peter Janiak harnesses the beautiful emerging abundance of spring vegetables like peas, leeks and fennel to create a light yet flavorful soup. Try this as your first course for your spring holiday meal alongside St. Francis' zesty Sonoma County Sauvignon Blanc!
- 2 cups of leeks (3/4” dice half moons)
- 2 cup medium diced fennel
- 4 oz butter
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 cups qt chicken stock
- 4 cups peas (blanched and shocked)
- 3/4 cup crème fraiche
- Salt to taste
- Sweat leeks and fennel in butter until soft (no color)
- Add wine and reduce by half
- Add stock and bring to simmer and simmer for 5 minutes
- Whisk in crème fraiche
- Allow it to cool to room temp
- Blend on high setting with peas
- Pass through soup-strainer and season to taste with salt.