Created by Taub Family Outpost's Chef Trevor Anderson, this fresh and inspiring recipe makes any fall meal a total hit! Serve it on its own for a light meal or serve it alongside rotisserie chicken or a roast. It's an inspiring take on a beet salad that is sure to bring your palate to new heights. Serves 4 to 6 people.
- 4 medium beets (any color)
- 1 orange cut in half
- 1 bunch thyme
- 3 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 large Asian pear
- 2 avocados
- 1 lime
- 8 ounces beech mushrooms
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup shoyu
- 1/4 cup cocoa nibs
- 1 Tbsp sea salt
PREPARE THE ROASTED BEETS
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Put the beets, thyme, canola oil and orange halves in a medium-sized roasting pan, squeezing the juice out of the orange onto the beets.
- Cover pan tightly with aluminum foil and roast in oven for about 1.5 hours. It may take longer depending on the actual size of the beets. To check for doneness carefully pull back foil watching out for steam and poke a beet with a sharp knife. If the knife enters the beet very easily, they are done.
- Allow to cool in the pan with the foil still on.
- Peel the skin off the beets using a clean kitchen towel you are not afraid of staining or using paper towels. Red beets will stain clothing and skin so be careful.
- Once cleaned cut the beets into bite size pieces and set aside in an airtight container. These can be done ahead of time and will keep for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.
PREPARE THE PICKLED MUSHROOMS
- Clean the mushrooms by trimming the bottoms off so they are all separated from each other.
- Combine sesame oil, rice vinegar and shoyu in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add mushrooms to pot and bring back to a boil and then turn off heat. Allow to cool before putting into an airtight container to store. These can be done ahead of time and will keep for 2 to 3 weeks.
- Once the mushrooms are all used up the leftover liquid can be used again to pickle more mushrooms or it works great as a salad dressing for other salads.
PREPARE THE AVOCADO CREMA
- Combine avocado pulp and lime juice in a high-powered blender and blend until smooth. This can be done by hand as well smashing with a fork and whipping with a whisk although it will not be as smooth as in the blender. This can be done ahead of time but will only keep for a day or two before oxidizing.
- There will be more crema than is needed for this recipe, but you need a certain amount to fill the blender enough to make it work. Anything left over goes great on anything.
ASSEMBLE THE SALAD
- Cut Asian pear into pieces similar in size to the beet pieces. In a mixing bowl combine beets and mushrooms together with a little of the pickling liquid mix together.
- Spoon out onto a serving bowl.
- Spread the pieces of pear around the beet and mushroom mixture.
- Spoon out dollops of the crema onto the salad in a few different spots.
- Sprinkle the cocoa nibs and sea salt evenly over the entire salad.