by Sheana Davis, The Epicurean Connection
Yields 4 cups
There's nothing more comforting on a winter's day than a pile of creamy, cheesy mashed potatoes! The Epicurean Connection, a Sonoma Valley cheesemaking school, created these with Vella Cheese, a local cheese company, to take the winter blues away. Enjoy them whenever you need a feeling of home.
- 2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled, rinsed and quartered
- Sprinkle of Salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup cheese of choice, grated
- Mozzarella, Jack, Cheddar, Swiss or a blend (Our favorite? Vella Toma, a Sonoma favorite, available for shipping)
- Prepare potatoes.
- Place potatoes in a pot of salted water and bring to simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, drain and place back in pot.
- Add in butter, milk, salt and pepper and mix with a hand mixer until smooth with a few chunks.
- Add in selected ingredients, fold together with a spatula.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Enjoy warm!
- Add in 2 cloves garlic minced when boiling potatoes.
- Add 1 teaspoon dried or fresh rosemary, chopped fine
- Add 1 teaspoon chili flakes for a bit of spice
- Add in 2 tablespoons fresh or dried parsley
- Stir in 1/2 cup crumbled cooked bacon or cooked ham (cubed)
- Place in greased baking pan to bake an additional 20 minute to crisp on top
- Layer mashed potatoes with 2 cups cooked ground beef, turkey or roasted peppers for a casserole
- Once cool, divide into 12 balls and flatten for potato pancakes. Serve with a fried egg
- Serve as potato pancakes with syrup of choice