This festive dessert comes to us from the Songbird Parlour and is perfect for a cocktail-style party for the holidays. Chef Lauren Kershner's popular venue is right on the banks of Sonoma Creek in the historic Jack London Village.
Oranges are abundant and easy to come by in the months December-March. Try a vanilla ice cream with lemon instead of orange for another interesting dessert. Enjoy!
- 1 pint vegan chocolate sorbet, or standard chocolate ice cream
- ½ cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ split vanilla bean pod
- 1 orange
- ½ cup quinoa
- 2 Tbsp. neutral cooking oil such as canola
- Prepare an orange syrup by adding the juice, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla bean to a small sauce pot. Stir and simmer until the sugar is completely dissolved and the flavors are incorporated, about 5 minutes. Allow to cool before serving on sorbet or ice cream
- Prepare the crispy quinoa by heating the oil in a small saucepan to medium heat. Add dried, uncooked quinoa to the oil and allow it to toast and pop a bit, about 2 minutes. Allow to cool. Both the quinoa and syrup will hold for several months.
- Take the orange and use a peeler to make about 6 long strips of zest.
- To serve, gather 6 martini glasses, add a scoop of sorbet or ice cream to each one, top with the orange syrup, puffed quinoa, and large zest of orange that has been ‘slapped’ in hands to release its oils.