This recipe comes to us courtesy of Executive Chef Stacey Combs of Songbird Parlour and Goodness Gracious Catering in Glen Ellen, CA--it's the ultimate fall recipe! The "Creekside shiitake" mushrooms can only be found at the Friday Farmer's Market in Sonoma and are far superior to anything you'll find at a grocery store. Try it as an opener to Thanksgiving dinner or as a healthy and simple weeknight dish.
- ½ pound of shiitake mushrooms
- 2 bu. Green onions, chopped
- ¼ c. Canola oil or another neutral oil, divided
- ½ c. soy sauce (sub tamari for GF)
- 1/3 c. honey (sub Agave for Vegan)
- 1 ½ teaspoons granulated sugar
- ¼ c. mirin
- ¼ c. rice wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons of sesame seeds, optional
* Serve these in a salad of mixed baby greens, roasted red beets, fresh mint, and a miso vinaigrette.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Place your sliced green onions in a heat proof bowl. Heat ¼ cup of canola oil, on high heat, until smoking and carefully pour over the green onions. This will release the aromas and wilt the onions.
- Combine the soy sauce, honey, sugar, mirin and rice wine vinegar together with the green onion, oil and sesame seeds (optional). Set aside.
- Toss the shiitake mushrooms with the remaining ¼ cup of canola. Season with salt and pepper. Spread on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper or foil.
- Roast in the oven for 7-10 minutes.
- Either marinate the mushrooms whole or cut into desired sizes.
- Add the mushrooms to the marinade and make sure they are submerged.*
- Marinate for 2 hours or overnight.
*you may use a small plate as a weight to help submerge the mushrooms.